PDA

View Full Version : Magellan detail map creation discussion

Peety117
9th December 2008, 06:28 AM
Hi all,

While on the topic of basemaps, could someone point me towars a basemap creator. I know MobileMapper Office will surfice my needs, but i cant find it anywhere on the web. Basically i want to use my own data sets (.shp, .gpx, ect) and create a basemaps (.imi or .img) that can be read on my Magellan Exp 500.

Cheers in advance

Peety117
9th December 2008, 07:24 AM
I tried usig this basemap on my meridian color,by changing the file extension to >IMG

No luck,so how can I turn this file into a .IMG file,I tried extracting the above file & I couldn't do anything with it,nor could I find it.
If some1 can turn this basemap into a baemap with a .IMG file extension,please notify me,so you could send it to me please ?

Link (http://www.msh-tools.com/mmoconverter.html)

I came accross this today, its probably exactly what your looking for.

The Explorer
9th December 2008, 07:50 AM
Link (http://www.msh-tools.com/mmoconverter.html)

I came accross this today, its probably exactly what your looking for.

Hello
The mmconverter is used as the final step in making detailed maps using mobilemapper..but AFAIK it is only for detailed maps ...not basemaps which are a different format. It certainly wont work on "proper" magellan files..only custom maps created using mobilemapper.

Cheers
Greg

Peety117
9th December 2008, 08:15 AM
Hi Greg

Thanks for clarifying that. Do you have mobilemapper setup file you can send me, i would greatly apreciate it.

Cheers

Found it, never mind

For those interested

http://www.zshare.net/download/739390736987/ MMO 1.0

http://rapidshare.com/files/53569804/MMOffice270.zip MMO 2.70

festy
9th December 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm fairly sure MMO can't make basemaps - what it refers to as basemaps are actually detail maps.

I assume you're after some sort of custom basemap, or you'd just use the regular australian one - what are you trying to make?

Peety117
9th December 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm fairly sure MMO can't make basemaps - what it refers to as basemaps are actually detail maps.

I assume you're after some sort of custom basemap, or you'd just use the regular australian one - what are you trying to make?

Yea, i want to upload some .shp files iv (my comapny) have made/sourced, so we can go out into the field and visualise/realise the project area.

Basically getting GIS data an making a usable detailed map for my GPS unit.

Peter

The Explorer
9th December 2008, 05:02 PM
Yea, i want to upload some .shp files iv (my comapny) have made/sourced, so we can go out into the field and visualise/realise the project area.

Basically getting GIS data an making a usable detailed map for my GPS unit.

Peter

Hello - you may wish to research the economics of purchasing a PDA type device that will run GPS mapping type software if your company is planning on doing this type of thing on a regular basis. You will achieve far better results with much less hassle. For example a cheap program like OziExplorerCe coupled with a GPS equipped PDA will allow you to load airphotos/topo map/site plans of your project area and overlay points and tracks. - These (points/tracks) are easily converted from shape files (using PC version of OziExplorer). I do it all the time. If you have Arcview or Mapinfo (or similar) you can even make your own OziExplorer compatible maps using whatever data you have access to.

Had a look at making maps with Mobilemapper Office years ago but the amount of effort required for result didnít suit me.

If you wish to preserver with your Magellan have a look at Addmagmap - (also available on gps tools website) - with this you can quickly add shape files to an existing map product - though I think you need to have the CD version (eg DAST v1) as you need program loaded on PC i.e. it is no good for current crop of SD supplied mapsets.

Cheers
Greg

Peety117
9th December 2008, 05:59 PM
Hello - you may wish to research the economics of purchasing a PDA type device that will run GPS mapping type software if your company is planning on doing this type of thing on a regular basis. You will achieve far better results with much less hassle. For example a cheap program like OziExplorerCe coupled with a GPS equipped PDA will allow you to load airphotos/topo map/site plans of your project area and overlay points and tracks. - These (points/tracks) are easily converted from shape files (using PC version of OziExplorer). I do it all the time. If you have Arcview or Mapinfo (or similar) you can even make your own OziExplorer compatible maps using whatever data you have access to.

Had a look at making maps with Mobilemapper Office years ago but the amount of effort required for result didnít suit me.

If you wish to preserver with your Magellan have a look at Addmagmap - (also available on gps tools website) - with this you can quickly add shape files to an existing map product - though I think you need to have the CD version (eg DAST v1) as you need program loaded on PC i.e. it is no good for current crop of SD supplied mapsets.

Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg, i am currently in the process of researching GPS devices/software interfaces, as GPS data capture (to a +-5m accuracy) is undertaken quite a few times during a project's lifetime. I just started working with this company (Epuron (www.epuron.com.au)), we develop wind farm projects primarily. The main use's of a GPS as i have said are data capture, and field inspection. I would really like to find a solution for under $1000 if possible. I was talking to one of our consultants today actually, and he also mentioned OziExplorer was easy to use and worked really well for them (funny that). I have had a quick look at the new garmin devices (Colorado 300/Oregon 300) and coupling it with ExpertGPS. But a pda solution would probably be more powerful, and also handle a few other extra things a pure GPS receiver can not.

However since i do not have these things, i have been, like you said, persevering with this stupid Magellan device in trying to get my data onto it.

Do you happen to have a copy of MMO ver 1.0, the link i posted does not work for me, iv compiled my map in 2.7 but i cant convert it to a .imi using MMO converter, and i dont really want to use the addmagmap utility.

Cheers
Peter

The Explorer
9th December 2008, 06:17 PM
Do you happen to have a copy of MMO ver 1.0, the link i posted does not work for me, iv compiled my map in 2.7 but i cant convert it to a .imi using MMO converter
Cheers
Peter

Yes ..but its 70mb!!

Have you looked at mobilemapper2 yahoo user group ? - must be a link there somewhere. If not only other solution is for me to post cd copy. Let me know how you go - i havent got time at momment to search for alternative link.

Cheers
Greg

Peety117
9th December 2008, 07:00 PM
Yes ..but its 70mb!!

Have you looked at mobilemapper2 yahoo user group ? - must be a link there somewhere. If not only other solution is for me to post cd copy. Let me know how you go - i havent got time at momment to search for alternative link.

Cheers
Greg

Found one, this time im downloading from a Russian file sharing site,thankfully i managed to click the right things and did not order a wife like i thought i might have, lol

The Explorer
9th December 2008, 07:04 PM
I may need a new wife if I keep spending so much time on the computer....be handy if you could just download one:)

Just for the record books here is another link to MM 1

http://rapidshare.com/files/11376048/MMO1MMO1.zip.html

Cheers
Greg

Peety117
9th December 2008, 07:12 PM
legend,

thanks

Peter

Peety117
9th December 2008, 08:02 PM
After 5+ hours of toil, im just about to give up. Can not get this to work, i can create the .imi but when i load it in my GPS receiver it says "Invalid Detailed Map", could it be that the data is too rich, i do have 5m contours in the .imi.

Peter

festy
10th December 2008, 01:05 PM
What version of MMO are you using? Are you running the IMI file through MMOConverter before uploading?

If you can post a small imi file, I'll disassemble it and tell you what's wrong with it ;)

The Explorer
10th December 2008, 01:17 PM
I now seem to recall that you only need to use MM2.7 to create maps for eXplorist. MM 1 is only needed if you wish to create custom POIs or something...not sure anyway

Disclaimer..No expert on subject

but main thing that needs to be done is this

After installing MMOffice, you need to add a value to the mobileoffice.ini file. At the end of the [DEVICE_DEFAULTS] section, add Byte_Order=1. You can see Mikhail
Sharonov's page on how to setup MMOffice for eXplorist receivers for more details

http://msh-tools.com/exploristmain.html

Cheers
Greg

festy
10th December 2008, 05:52 PM
MMO 2.7 is needed to do imi format maps, but to create half-decent custom maps you really need to create your layer files in MMO1.0, then export to imi from 2.7, then pass through MMOConverter.

For simple maps you might get away with doing it all from 2.7 though, you just lose all the custom group creation stuff.

Peety117
10th December 2008, 05:56 PM
What version of MMO are you using? Are you running the IMI file through MMOConverter before uploading?

If you can post a small imi file, I'll disassemble it and tell you what's wrong with it ;)

Im using MMO 2.27 and i have edited the MMO.ini, i can export .img's, and then i use the mmo converter to convert to .imi, copy the .imi file accross to my GPS and the GPS says "Invalid File"

Am i missing a step?

Here is my .img (http://www.mediafire.com/file/zjnwzkmugjj/NewMap.img) (right click, save as) if you want to try convert it

Peety117
10th December 2008, 06:01 PM
MMO 2.7 is needed to do imi format maps, but to create half-decent custom maps you really need to create your layer files in MMO1.0, then export to imi from 2.7, then pass through MMOConverter.

For simple maps you might get away with doing it all from 2.7 though, you just lose all the custom group creation stuff.

From the sounds of that, i think i am doing something wrong here....

Thanks for helping me out.

The Explorer
10th December 2008, 06:53 PM
I made some "simple" maps just using MM2.7 a while ago that worked on Triton without going past the basic intructions. Maybe try toning done the complexity of your maps to see if that is the issue i.e simple line and/or ploygon and work your way up.

Cheers
Greg

festy
11th December 2008, 04:15 AM
I've split this discussion off into it's own thread to keep the original basemap thread on the topic of basemaps ;)

If you're getting an .IMG file out of MMO, that's not going to work on an explorist, that's the old meridian little-endian format. MMOConverter only changes the layer format slightly to make it work with explorists, it can't reformat maps to big-endian.

Also, contours shouldn't be added as normal layers. MMO will cark it trying to build a decent sized map with that much detail in a normal layer.
Magellan maps use a blx format datafile for the topo layer, and automatically adjust contour detail depending on zoom, ie. you might have 5m contours at 1.6km zoom, but 50m intervals at 5km zoom. Have a look at the 'OSM for magellan' thread to see some examples.

MMO *does* work, I and plenty of others have managed to produce valid maps with it, but it is a PITA to use.

If you want to post a imi file we should be able to give you some pointers as to what's going wrong.
Also, get a copy of Mapsend Lite 2.00e (or vantagepoint lite) from magellan.com and test your maps with it before uploading to GPS - mapsend is more forgiving than the explorists, and may show you when you're getting close to having a valid imi.

Or if you want, zip up your unbuilt map (ie. c:\program files\MobileMapper 2.7\Vectmaps\[mapname]\) and email it to me and I'll have a shot at building it for you.

Peety117
13th December 2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the help, but we have purchased OziExplorer and we are going to use a laptop out in the field now... now i just got to learn how to use it by Monday, lol

And a special thanks to festy for preparing the topo maps, awesome work, how did you manage to get that detailed contour data for all of Aust? are there any constraints with using it or sharing it? I will certainly going to use it next snow season. dont worry im not going to dob you in.

festy
13th December 2008, 03:47 PM
Not sure exactly what data you're referring to - but mostly I use contour data sourced from the NASA SRTM, so use is free to use and distribute.

The Explorer
13th December 2008, 05:23 PM
Data located here

ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM3/Australia/

Not sure what the mapmakers here use but something like GlobalMapper, Arcview or MapInfo can be used to create contours from this data.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
13th December 2008, 05:31 PM
PS - more info on this and other sources of height data here....

www.oziexplorer2.com/ozi3d/height_data.html

festy
13th December 2008, 06:03 PM
I've turned the data into shapefiles and one large geotiff, between the two that covers most of what I do.

Peety117
14th December 2008, 06:41 AM
Ah, STRN, yea the data resolution is really co****, (30m grid) still its very impressive seeing that it covers the whole globe. Interpolating 5 meter contours from a 30m grid.....hmm.

The Explorer
14th December 2008, 07:04 AM
Ah, STRN, yea the data resolution is really co****, (30m grid) still its very impressive seeing that it covers the whole globe. Interpolating 5 meter contours from a 30m grid.....hmm.

Ill think youll find the Australia data is 3 sec (~90m). So you can add a couple of more ems to your hmm :)

Though I am lead to believe that sample density was higher in areas of steeper, more variable terrian.

Cheers
Greg

festy
14th December 2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah, there was a discussion on here a while back about the futility of 5m contours using SRTM - but until a better resolution datasource comes along (that is free and unencumbered by licensing conditions) that's what we have to work with :(

Peety117
14th December 2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, there was a discussion on here a while back about the futility of 5m contours using SRTM - but until a better resolution datasource comes along (that is free and unencumbered by licensing conditions) that's what we have to work with :(

Organisations sharing high quality spatial data is not that common, however i think Google are going to change that in the near future (along with plans to take over the world, lol), Google have joint venture with GeoEye (latest imaging satellite) which is capable of achieving 41cm resolution, i would not be surprised if they do something similar with NASA.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/10/geoeye-1-super.html

Back to the topic, while interpolating 5m contours from STRM may not be highly accurate, it still give the user a reasonable height information, better than a z fix you can get with L1 GPS signals (+-30m).

festy
14th December 2008, 08:39 AM
Google have a reputation for crippling their data with restrictive acceptable use policies, I'm not holding my breath for them to change their ways.
It's fair enough - they pay a fortune for their data so can't just give it away.
The Govt though - *we* pay for their data, and most still don't let us near it :(

crossroads
28th December 2008, 08:48 AM
From reading a few of the posts in this thread I'm hoping that at least one of you will be able to answer my question. Is it possible to import Explorist track or route into MMO 2.7? If so, how? If not then what would be a basic alternative for me to draft simple detail maps using track and route data?
Thanks.

festy
28th December 2008, 09:19 AM
MMO imports shapefiles, so you'd first need to convert your tracks to this format. Oziexplorer can export tracks as shapefiles.

raharjo
19th May 2009, 04:11 AM
The thread is quite old already, I hope my reply may help in creating Magellan Basemap.

This tutorial gives an example how to create a Magellan basemap Magellan Basemap Creation (http://www.flash.gistutorial.net/gps/thales/mobilemapper_flash/01_map_image.html)

The IMG is cretaed for MobileMapper GPS. We can convert the IMG into Meridian or other Magellan GPS using MMO Converter (http://www.msh-tools.com/mmoconverter.html)

For Garmin user, Garmin Basemap can be generated by This Post (http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=&hl=en&u=http://www.raharjo.org/tutorial/membuat-basemap-gps-garmin.html). Sorry, it is GoogleTranslated Post.

Regards,

The Explorer
19th May 2009, 09:23 AM
The thread is quite old already, I hope my reply may help in creating Magellan Basemap.

This tutorial gives an example how to create a Magellan basemap Magellan Basemap Creation (http://www.flash.gistutorial.net/gps/thales/mobilemapper_flash/01_map_image.html)

The IMG is cretaed for MobileMapper GPS. We can convert the IMG into Meridian or other Magellan GPS using MMO Converter (http://www.msh-tools.com/mmoconverter.html)

For Garmin user, Garmin Basemap can be generated by This Post (http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=&hl=en&u=http://www.raharjo.org/tutorial/membuat-basemap-gps-garmin.html). Sorry, it is GoogleTranslated Post.

Regards,

Hi - Thanks - good little turtorial. RE: Magellan maps - I think there is a basic misunderstanding of terminolgy here. My understanding of the situation is that the maps created by MMO/MMO converter are actually "detailed" map format (even if you choose not to create a very detailed map). They can not be used to replace a basemap on any Magellan GPS. The confusion may arise because of the use of the word "background" map in the MMO program. It is however different to a "basemap" on a Magellan GPS. The maps work fine as detailed maps though.

A quick look at the Garmin link you provide also suggests that the maps being created are in fact detailed maps and not basemaps. No big deal but it can get confusing for new (and old) users if the terminology is mixed up in this fashion.

Cheers
Greg

festy
19th May 2009, 09:31 AM
A couple of points - that will create a detail map, not a basemap. MMO can't create basemaps.
Newer versions of MMO can create little-endian detail maps, that tutorial uses an older version that only does big-endian formats.
Also, that tutorial isn't much good unless you have each class of object in a seperate shapefile - ie. you couldn't have all roads in one shapefile or they would all render the same which would make differentiating between highways and dirt tracks a bit hard.
You can 'unlock' some hidden features in MMO1 to enable better shapefile handling though.
The tip 'if you have problems, buy a better computer' is garbage - MMO is inherently flawed, it will crash with a memory error regardless of the machine or how much memory it has if you try and export a decent sized map.